1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS for sale at the Mecum Auctions To be sold at the Glendale,March 28-April 1, 2023. The phrase “more than meets the eye” might be appropriate for this 1966 Chevelle SS, which is known as “The Black Widow.” Since a bite from the spider by the same name packs an unexpected wallop, this car is far from what the factory let out for the street in ’66, the first full year of big-block Chevelle production. The name is also appropriate because this was a professional in-house build by Venom Classics of Mesa, Arizona.
Part of its appeal is the professionally built 454 CI V-8 big-block engine, also by Venom Classics. While the air cleaner may look similar to the factory 396 version, it is labeled for this engine, which uses modern FiTech fuel injection, with the pump mounted in-tank. There is MSD ignition, an Edelbrock intake, new dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, and light chrome detailing. This is backed by a TKO 5-speed transmission tucked into a custom-designed transmission tunnel, which retained the factory center console, and the rebuilt factory-style 12-bolt rear end that has 3.55 Positraction gearing. A comprehensive suspension overhaul resulted in all non-wearable components powder coated, an American Autowire wiring harness has been utilized, and power steering and power brakes are here as well.
The exterior wears jet black paint, and the SS396 emblems were retained. Inside is a gorgeous custom-fitted interior that includes TMI front and rear seats. The steering wheel sits atop an Ididit tilt chrome column, the restored dash uses Dakota Digital gauges, there is Vintage Air installed, and further features include the window tint, new high-grade carpet and the console-mounted clock and white-knob shifter. Audio upgrades are the RetroSound stereo with Rockford Fosgate speakers, and Spies-Hecker paint products were used throughout on this build. Outside, the shine is completed by new chrome bumpers and new exterior trim, while a set of new, custom powder-coated Rally wheels were shod in BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires. The legacy of the original 1966 release is stellar, and this one is not just more than meets the eye, but all that one could want as well.
- Known as “The Black Widow”
- Professional in-house build by Venom Classics of Mesa, Arizona
- Professionally built 454 CI V-8 engine by Venom Classics
- FiTech fuel injection with pump in-tank
- Ready-To-Run MSD ignition
- New dual exhaust with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers
- TKO 5-speed transmission
- Custom designed transmission tunnel to retain factory center console
- Rebuilt factory-style 12-bolt rear with 3.55 Positraction
- Custom interior including TMI front and rear seats
- Ididit tilt chrome column utilizing the original factory wheel
- Dash restored with Dakota Digital gauges
- New high-grade carpet
- Spies Hecker paint products used in build
- Comprehensive suspension overhaul, all non-wearable components were powdercoated
- American Autowire wiring harness
- Vintage Air
- RetroSound stereo with Rockford Fosgate speakers
- New chrome bumpers and new exterior trim
- New custom powdercoated Rally wheels with Radial T/A tires
Source and more information: Mecum Auctions