1969 Ford Mustang Drag Car Is Going To Auction sale at the Mecum Auctions To be sold at the Kissimmee 2023 auction, Kissimmee, FL, January 4-15, 2023
By the late 1960s, Foulger Ford had emerged as one of Ford’s top performance dealers in Southern California. As a racer himself, owner Chuck Foulger had been instrumental in the creation of the Ford Drag Team. A strong supporter of Ford’s drag racing efforts, the Monrovia dealership’s unique script lettering adorned the doors of local grassroots Ford drag race cars, including this car, Lucy Below’s 1969 428 Cobra Jet Mustang that campaigned as “Lucy’s Larceny” on the West Coast drag racing circuit.
Painted in a unique color scheme with Pearl White on one side and Candy Blue on the other, the competition-prepped Mustang ran for three years in the NHRA’s SS/H and SS/I Super Stock classes, setting numerous records along the way, including a first place and SS/HA class record at Fremont Dragway. As a female driver, Below became a local celebrity and appeared in a couple of car magazines in the 1970s. After its retirement from drag racing, the Mustang passed through several collectors but was preserved in as-raced condition, eventually restored to its current condition with input from Lucy Below and her husband Bob.
Offered in its original racing configuration, the Mustang looks sharp with fresh paint but retains its “as-raced” patina. The Mustang started life as an R-Code 1969 Cobra Jet fastback with the 428 Cobra Jet big-block V-8, an automatic transmission and the functional Ram-Air Shaker hood scoop. Many famous aftermarket performance names of the 1960s and ‘70s can be found on the car’s race equipment, including a Sun Super Tach, Lakewood traction bars and drag shocks, chrome Cragar S/S wheels and Hurst shifter. Lucy’s Larceny is accompanied by an original build sheet and period racing photos.
- Campaigned on the West Coast drag racing circuit
- Sponsored by Foulger Ford in Monrovia, California
- Driven by Lucy Below and known as ‘Lucy’s Larceny’
- 1st Place at Fremont Dragway with SS/HA class record
- Retired after three years with the Belows
- Featured in a couple drag racing magazines in the 1970s
- Restored with input from Lucy and Bob Below
- Offered in its original racing configuration
- Original build sheet and period racing photos
- Ram Air 428 Cobra Jet engine
- Automatic transmission
- Competition suspension package
- Power front disc brakes
- Lakewood traction bars and drag shocks
- Chrome Cragar SS wheels
Source : Mecum Auctions