- Ram 3500 Heavy Duty with Cummins 6.7-liter High Output Turbo Diesel brings total torque to 1,075 lb.-ft., highest diesel rating ever for a pickup
- Segment best 37,100-lb. gooseneck towing capacity
- Ram was the first to achieve the 1,000 lb.-ft. of torque milestone
- New for 2021, digital rearview mirror adds to an array of advanced technology features available on Ram Heavy Duty
- The first 2021 Ram Heavy Duty high-output pickup trucks begin rolling off the production line this month
December 1, 2020 , Auburn Hills, Mich. – The 2021 Ram Heavy Duty is the most powerful, most capable pickup in the segment with a towing capacity of 37,100 lbs. with a gooseneck hitch and 1,075 lb.-ft. of torque. Ram once again redefines the phrase “you don’t even know it’s back there” when towing or hauling.
“Ram regains capability leadership by delivering the highest ever torque rating for a diesel pickup truck and heaviest gooseneck towing capacity,” said Mike Koval Jr., Head of Ram Brand. “We understand the attributes that are most important to our customers within the heavy-duty segment; they demand hardworking, long-lasting capability.”
Working closely with Cummins, the diesel engine improvements for 2021 include higher limits for boost from a variable geometry turbocharger and flow rate increases in the fuel delivery system. This enables the 6.7-liter I-6 to produce an additional 75 lb.-ft. of torque. This improvement ranks the Cummins engine ahead of the competition with 1,075 total lb.-ft. of torque, while maintaining the diesel’s hallmark durability and efficiency.
The rear portion of Ram Heavy Duty’s frame includes fully boxed rails and the rear-axle structural crossmember, with provisions for a fifth-wheel and gooseneck hitch, has been upgraded for 2021 to accommodate the increased towing capacity. The optional fifth-wheel and gooseneck hardware is fully integrated into the production box floor and includes fifth-wheel pucks, gooseneck bolt plates and gooseneck center castings. Additionally, the standard 4/7-pin trailer connector at the bumper and an additional 7-pin connector are integrated into the rear of the bed to easily wire a trailer (included in fifth-wheel/gooseneck option).
The 37,100-lb. tow uprating is made possible by an in-house hitch design from Ram Engineering. The upgraded capability allows the Ram 3500 to haul the heaviest travel trailers in the industry.
Also new for 2021, the Ram Heavy Duty features a digital rearview mirror that displays video in real time from a rear-facing camera and can be turned off to revert back to a traditional reflective mirror. The digital rearview mirror is available on all Heavy Duty models and provides an unobstructed rear view that enhances safety.
Ram Heavy Duty brings a new level of refinement and continues the brand’s interior leadership with authentic premium quality materials, colors and textures, refinement, technology and luxury. The segment-disrupting Uconnect 4C NAV with a 12-inch reconfigurable touchscreen features tailor-made graphics for various Ram models and state-of-the-art connectivity. Personalization is made easy with the split screen, allowing two different applications for desired configuration, such as Apple CarPlay and HVAC controls, or one application, such as navigation across the entire 12-inch touchscreen.
An available covered external power source (400W 115-volt, three-prong) is located at the left rear corner of the bed. This plug features a water resistant lid and includes a 400W inverter.
Ram 3500 Heavy Duty maximum gooseneck and conventional hitch maximum trailer weight ratings for 2021 are 37,100 lbs. and 23,000 lbs., respectively.
2021 Ram Heavy Duty pickup trucks will be available in dealerships this month.
Ram Truck Brand
In 2009, the Ram Truck brand launched as a stand-alone division, focused on meeting the demands of truck buyers and delivering benchmark-quality vehicles. With a full lineup of trucks, the Ram 1500, 2500/3500 Heavy Duty, 3500/4500/5500 Chassis Cab, ProMaster and ProMaster City, the Ram brand builds trucks that get the hard work done and families where they need to go.
Ram continues to outperform the competition and sets the benchmarks for:
- 1,075 lb.-ft. of torque with Cummins Turbo Diesel
- Towing capacity of 37,100 lbs. with Ram 3500
- Segment first 1,000 lb.-ft of torque with Cummins Turbo Diesel
- Payload of 7,680 lbs. with Ram 3500
- Most luxurious: Ram Limited with real wood, real leather and 12-inch Uconnect touchscreen
- Best ride and handling with exclusive link coil rear and auto-level air suspensions
- Most interior space with Ram Mega Cab
- Most capable full-size off-road pickup – Ram Power Wagon
- Most awarded light-duty truck in America
- Highest owner loyalty of any half-ton pickup
- Over the last 30 years, Ram has the highest percentage of pickups still on the road
Ram is part of the portfolio of brands offered by global automaker Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. For more information regarding FCA (NYSE: FCAU/ MTA: FCA), please visit www.fcagroup.com.
Source : FCA North America